Friday, January 12, 2018

Stable Layne Pt 6 #UseYourWords

Welcome to January's Use Your Words writing challenge. Our first one of 2018!! This is how it works: participating bloggers submitted four to six words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That is the challenge, here is a fun twist; no one who is participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.




Your words are:
poet ~ snow ~ car ~ hibernate ~ stick

It was submitted by: Karen of http://Bakinginatornado.com Thank you for such great words!! :)

Do you remember the Stable Layne story I had been writing for y'all using my words?! No?! Yes?! Either way, take a few moments to refresh your memory, or to catch up.... 
Caught up?! Good. So I have decided to use this month's words, to pick up where I left off. Then I plan on posting another post soon, fast forwarding a bit, and then I will use future words to continue on the story. Now, where were we?? .... 

Layne, Damon, and Marcus spent the next hour getting everything in order for the party. All the necessary food and pantry staples, had been put into their correct places in the garage kitchenette. The sodas that Damon and Marcus had brought, had been put in the fridge, ice was made and ready, the grill was all set to be fired up, the tables and chairs were out. Since there was no snow on the ground, she had spread the tables all around the patio and even put some out in the yard.

Damon had shown Layne several simple exercises, ones she could easily incorporate into her daily activities. Marcus had done them with her, and it had really helped her relax. Maybe it was all the daydreams, or maybe it was the feelings she had been feeling, but she had felt so tense around Damon. Having Marcus around had definitely helped her feel less nervous, and she actually found him to be quite funny. 

It was obvious, watching how well Damon and Marcus got along, that they were very close. She had found out that Marcus was a fireman. It also seemed that he was single. The more time she spent around him, the more she knew she just had to introduce him to her friend Jules. Lucky for them, she would be coming by soon, to deliver all the baked goods, that had been ordered for the party.

As Layne finished putting the last of the plastic utensils into the utensil tray, she looked up catching Damon staring at her. She felt her cheeks burn, as they turned bright red, she quickly glanced down. "Do I have something in my hair or a smudge on my face?" Damon laughed as he walked over to her, reaching up and gently rubbing his finger along her jaw, holding it up for her to see little specks of green glitter covering his finger.

They both laughed. "I guess I got more of the glitter on me, than I had thought," she said. "I knew I should have just left that darn glitter garland in the bin, but I just thought it was just what this kitchenette needed."

Damon looked into her eyes, and she may have felt her heart skip a beat or two, "The kitchenette did need it. It looks perfect. Don't worry, you did not get much glitter on you. It just happened to be that a streak of it was on your jaw, and you caught my eye, and I saw it."

"So sparkly I can catch a person's eye eh?" she laughed, as she quickly busied herself with filling a napkin holder.

"Well," Damon said, as he leaned against the counter next to her, "I don't think it was the smudge of glitter that caught my eye."

She looked up at him, feeling her cheeks becoming warm again. "Not the glitter," she said softly.

"Not the glitter", he repeated after her. "More you, less the glitter."

Then it happened. He leaned in and brushed his lips against hers. A simply, sweet, perfect kiss. It was so perfect, a poet probably would have trouble putting its perfection into words. As she looked up at him, biting her bottom lip, watching him smile, she knew she was in trouble. He must be feeling it too, or he never would have kissed her.

Feeling like she had to break the silence, she said the only thing her mouth seemed capable of saying, "Hi."

He chuckled softly, "Hi."

All she could think of was dragging him into her house, and making him hibernate with her for the rest of the winter, getting to know each other, and seeing where these feelings took them. For the first time in months, she was thinking about something other than her accident and her painstakingly slow recovery. For the first time in years, she was thinking about something other than a solitary life. For the first time in years, she was thinking about possibilities outside of her Master plan. 

Just when she was about to make a fool of herself, and kiss him again, the slamming of a car door broke their comfortable silence. They both turned in time to see Marcus helping Jules carry boxes of delicious baked goods into the garage. They were both smiling and chatting.

"So, I was finishing up hanging that lighted garland, and I saw this angel drive up," Marcus said to Layne and Damon, as Jules laughed. "Only I did not know she was an angel, until I offered to help her with her boxes, and saw all the delicious goodies she had."

Damon started laughing, "A woman with baked goods would definitely be your definition of an angel," he said as he helped put boxes onto the counter. "This guy right here may look fit as can be, but do not let that fool you. He eats more than a horse, and has a serious addiction to baked good, especially cookies and pies. His physical fitness is thanks in part to the hours he spends working out, to combat the copious amounts of baked goods he eats."

Marcus tried to defend himself, "Listen, I am not that bad. In fact, I have you to know, I have seriously cut back. I only visit Jules' bakery three times a week now."

"You visit Jules' bakery three times a week?" Layne asked in shock. "So you two know each other already?"

Jules was shaking her head and Damon was looking confused. "Who knows each other? The Angel and I? Why would we know each other?"

"Well, you said you visit Jules' bakery three times a week" Layne said, "So, I just assumed you two knew each other."

Marcus, looked down at the boxes, and for the first time realized they were from Jules' Bakery. "Oh my gosh! These are from Jules' Bakery! You must work there!" He grinned at the woman that now seemed even more like an angel.

"Well," Jules laughed. "I guess you could say I work there. Hello. My name is Jules" she winked and held out her hand to Marcus.

"You're the Jules." Marcus said, as he shook her hand. "The very Jules who created the Four Nut Peanut Butter Cookies?!"

"The one and only," Jules replied, a smile lighting up her face. "Those happen to be my favorite thing to not only make, but my favorite treat to eat."

Damon looked over at Layne and whispered "This is going to end in a marriage."

Layne could not help but hope it ended in more than just one marriage. She smiled at Damon, and mentally told the butterflies in her stomach to calm down. Too bad she could not reach inside, and scare the butterflies off with a stick. She knew, beyond any doubt, she was in over her head, and for once she did not care. She liked it. She liked these feelings, and she certainly liked Damon. 

To be continued....

I hope you like where the words are taking Layne, Damon, and their friends. Now, go grab some coffee/tea/water, get comfortable, and meet me over at the rest of this month's Use Your Words posts. I will meet you there promptly after I get a refill of coffee.

Links to January's other “Use Your Words” posts:

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, a kiss! And Jules' Bakery! I feel like watching a chick flick!

    Actually, the bakery bit reminds me of "when Harry met Sally", when they were both dating other people, and Harry was with Emily who, as it turned out, was "Aunt Emily", famous for chocolate mousse cakes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love where the words are taking these characters and now I have 2 possible love stories to follow all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story and am so happy that you went back to it. Maybe my Marianne and your Layne can become friends lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea Rena and maybe Sarah and Mama can pop in too! Oh what fun we would have with it all

    ReplyDelete

Skin

Welcome to June's Blog with Friends!! Each month a theme is chosen and then participating bloggers use the theme, to create their own un...