Welcome to this week's #TopTenThursday. This is a fun writing challenge, that is hosted by Tamara of Confessions of a part-time working mom. Her, myself, and other bloggers, come together and post weekly Top Ten lists, which we create based on a chosen topic. I hope you enjoy reading my list, as much as I loved creating it.
Last week, we made a list of our Top Ten Favorite Places in Our Hometown. This week, we are revealing our Top Ten Things We'd Save if Our Home Were On Fire. Last week, I had a challenging time coming up with a list about my hometown. This week, not quite so difficult. There are many things I would want to save, if my home were on fire, so the challenge is to narrow it down to just ten. We were given the stipulation, that all people and pets have already been brought to safety, so we just need to save ten things.
So, without further delay, here are the top ten things I'd save from a fire, in random order....
1. My purse. It is full of my important cards and paperwork. My planner is usually in there, and I tend to have some makeup and toiletries. So, it would definitely be coming with me to safety. I would maintain access to my money and my medical cards. It is definitely important.
2. My lock boxes. I have two. One contains my medicines and one contains important things, like our birth certificates and other documents, as well has some precious keepsakes from Gigi's birth. If I were unable to carry both, I would just save the one with my medicines. The other one is fireproof.
3. Clothes for us. I would just grab a basket of whatever. Something to wear, is better than nothing to wear.
4. My Bob Marley glasses that Chad bought me. I have only drank out of one of them once. I keep them safe and sound in the cabinet above the stove. I love them so much, that I don't dare use them, for fear of breaking them. Maybe one day, we will live in a house big enough for them to be displayed.
5. A handful of Gigi's favorite toys. I think having toys she is attached to, will help her cope with losing so many other things.
6. The bin of Gigi's baby keepsakes. It contains a few special outfits and some special toys. I hope to give them to her one day, for use with her children.
7. My necklace that is honor of Kateri. Minette from Southern Belle Charm made it for me, and it is very special to me. I do not wear it 24/7, for fear of breaking it. I put it on when I leave, so that Kateri is with me. It has become an item of comfort. It has a pendant on it that says "Your wings were ready but my heart was not". I am hoping to buy a few more from her, as I have a few of something happening to this one.
8. My electronics and chargers. This would include my laptop, phone, camera, and Polaroid Zip printer. These together contain all my pics of our family, and of Gigi. I absolutely would not want to lose these things.
9. My coffee maker and coffee. I would try to save both of them, our Keurig and our espresso machine. Worst case scenario, I would just save the espresso machine. It is brand new. Our Keurig is older, and there are newer ones out. Replacing it would not be so bad.
10. My pillows and blankets. I am sure it seems silly, but it will definitely help me to rest well, in the days after the fire.
I have lost everything twice in the past, due to fires. The first one was my freshman year of high school. There was a fire in the dorm room across from mine, and everything of mine was lost, except for a few items of clothing. It was devastating. The second fire was in 2006. It happened a few days after I had moved into a new apartment. My landlords had installed some lighting on their own, and the wiring caught fire. I lost everything, including my pets (Jakob, my beloved cat, and my beloved hamster Brutus). It was devastating. Everything gone. My landlords really screwed me over, and it took me a very long time to get back on my feet. I would have died in the 2006 fire, but fortunately I was not home. It was a true blessing, because that was the first night in years, that I went out and visited friends.
I genuinely hope none of you ever experience a fire, but if you did, what things would you save?! Do we have similar lists?!
Don't forget to go check out the top ten lists, created by these other amazing bloggers:
Tamara of Confessions of a part-time working mom