Friday, March 17, 2017

Touched for the Very First Time March 2017 #UseYourWords

Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked four to six words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That is the challenge, here is a fun twist; no one who is participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.


My words are:
Tetris ~ Rollerblades ~ Big Hair ~ Rubik’s Cube ~ Like A Virgin ~ Neon
They were submitted by: Tamara of Confessions of a part-time working mom  (Thank you for the awesome words, Tamara. I kinda hate you though. I had two solid plans for this month's words (I NEVER have plans, and this month I had TWO plans), and neither could be applied to these words, so I had to strugggggllllleeeeee..... It's okay, after reconsidering our friendship, I decided I still love you!)

So, I read this month's words, and I immediately transported back to the 80s. I was immediately back in my hammer pants and jelly shoes, with my neon peace sign t-shirt, and my neon jelly bracelets, with my big hair and even bigger bangs.... I remembered what it felt like playing Tetris for the first time, realizing it was the greatest game ever. Watching my cousins skate on Rollerblades, but never being brave enough to try on my own. I remember having the competitions to see who could solve the Rubik's Cube first, or at least who could get the most of it completed. I remember singing Madonna's "Like a Virgin" at the top of my lungs. Good times. Great times. I miss being a kid some days. 

Well, now that that is done.... Haha. Just kidding. So, of course when I first read the words, I was transported down memory lane. Then I went to work on formulating my post. My first plan was to add on to Stable Layne. Nope. These words would not work for that. My backup plan had been to write a poem. Nope. I just don't think I could formulate a poem with them. So, I was stumped. So very stumped. I am still kinda stumped, but I decided to do something I have done before. Approach each word individually. I hope it becomes something you enjoy reading.

Tetris: So, as I said above, when I first played Tetris, I thought it was the greatest video game ever. Now, at thirty-four years old, I still think it is the best game ever. It is hands down my favorite game. I still play it. I am AMAZING at it. I will challenge any of you any day, to try to beat me. Spoiler: You won't be able to. I am not even into video games, but I LOVE Tetris.

Rollerblades: I cannot roller skate nor Rollerblade. I tried once to learn how, and it just didn't happen. I was fifteen and my step-mom gifted me her old pair. I tried a couple times to do it, and just couldn't so I gave up. Now, I am the mom of an almost four year old, and I wish I could. I would LOVE to teach her how. She really wants a skateboard, but I would rather she use roller skates or rollerblades. Unfortunately, I have no clue on how to teach her. So, my plan is to buy both her and Chad some rollerblades, and have them figure it out together. Plus, I think Embee could be great at teaching Gigi how. I am tempted to get myself a pair, and try to learn once and for all. So, if I have a broken arm or leg in June, you will know why. 

Big Hair: When I think big hair, one thing that comes to mind first are the hair bands that were so popular in my youth. My favorite hair band, hands down is Poison. I know it probably isn't the most popular choice, but it is my choice. This past Saturday, we were driving home from Arizona, and they came on the radio. I told Chad, I would LOVE to attend a Poison concert, and he told me that would probably never be a possibility. Then yesterday, my friend posted on Facebook about a concert coming up, that she wants to attend. If you guessed it is a Poison concert, with special guests Tesla... You are completely right. Can you believe this?! So, yeah. That totally happened. Now, I am hoping to be able to save up enough money to go! Also, I always thought Aerosmith was a hair band, but they aren't. If they were, they would be my favorite. I still have a crush on Steven Tyler, and get a bit giddy when I see him on TV or hear him sing.

Rubik's Cube: As a kid, these were so popular, and we all had them. I actually solved it once. It was only my third or fourth time playing with it, and I just solved it. I do not how I did it, and other than that one time, I never solved it again. All these years later, I now get the joy of watching Gigi play with them. She has several. I bought dozens of them, to put in the goodies bags at her last birthday party, and she was the happy recipient of the leftover ones. She has them in all sizes. Some have pictures, rather than colored squares. She loves them. 

Like a Virgin: I could go several ways with this one. I could go deeply personal, or cling to the obvious. Hmmm... So, "Like a Virgin" is not my favorite Madonna song. "Take a Bow" is. It has been, since the very first time I heard it. I love it. I can remember getting excited every time the video came on as a kid, and whenever they played a different one of her videos, I would be sad. Also, I lost my virginity when I was 19 years 6 months and 10 days old. Just in case you were wondering. 

Neon: I am not a fan of energy drinks. I do like the coffee flavors that Monster has, but I don't drink them. I did a few years ago, but haven't in years. I just think that energy drinks have a nauseating fake flavor. Plus, they don't give me energy. So, I will pass. However, my friend Gina sells Visalus. They have an energy drink called Neon, and I actually really like it. It actually tastes really good. It doesn't have the fake or floral taste, that I find the other energy drinks to have. It is nice and fruity. I actually really love it. It is great as a mixer for drinks, and it is great on its own. Plus, if you blend it with ice, it makes a yummy slushy. I tried it, because I do like to try new things, but had expected to hate it. It was surprisingly yummy, and I am glad Gina encouraged me to try it. If you ever get the opportunity to try it, you definitely should. Also, my friend Gina can be contacted here, if you are interested. No, I was not paid to say this. It is just my honest opinion, and the first thing that came to mind, when I read the word neon.


Links to the other “Use Your Words” posts:

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to thwart your plans! You did great, thouogh! I bet everybody has a story on rollerblades, Tetris and big hair! I'm surprised you even remember the 80s - you must have been in Kindergarten?
    PS: Love your rainbow pattern! Happy St. Patrick's Day! 🍀🌈🍺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your plans but sometimes these words take us where they want us to go. I completely agree, your prompts were perfect for a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best words ever! I'm so jelly. The 80's were the best decade ever. I keep hope they make a comeback lol
    You did a great job and I loved thinking back on my memories associated with those words as well. I used to spend hours on the toilet playing tetris (TMI I know). haha

    ReplyDelete

Skin

Welcome to June's Blog with Friends!! Each month a theme is chosen and then participating bloggers use the theme, to create their own un...